Sunday, December 21, 2008

Sardis

After we couldn't get in touch with the baggage people on the phone. We left for the airport. Stopped across from central park and got hot dogs. It was so cold outside that I tried to eat it as fast as possible so I could put my hands in my pockets.

We started out on the subway to get to JFK, which took over an hour at least, to make it to the train station, after which you take a train to the airport. Me and Carolina stayed at the train because we didn't want to pay to go, and didn't really need to for any reason. Teresa and Lauren went to find out about their luggage situation. After a while T relayed to us it was going to take much longer. So me and Carolina went to Chinatown. We stopped in a few stores, best Asian stuff abounds, but we bought a good bit of souveniers that were more new york themed! We also stopped at a bakery and split some sort of melon pastry.

Officially, I gave up on getting my luggage back, and I was desperately feezing. I bought a hoodie and a much needed pair of gloves. I feel much better in the weather with the extra layers!

Also. The best part of Chinatown. We were only in Chinatown for a little over an hour I think. But we were walking, and Carolina had mentioned before that she wanted to try acupuncture. I saw a sign and pointed it out to her, pretty much joking. But, we walk in, and there are a bunch of people standing around talking, and Carolina talks me into doing it with her. There were plenty of communication problems and it was seedy. Of course. But hey , adventure.

We go in and put our coats in these tubs by the tables. In a bunch of confusion and asking them what to do, I end up facedown with my sweater still on, confused, and Carolina is next to me, no curtain or wall between us, and she's topless.

Carolina tells the story better. But basically we didn't realize that acupuncture is more medical. And what we had was accupressure. It was a really good massage! And can't beat that price.

After telling teresa about it, she is instantly interested in going back and getting one herself. !

The subway system took up a lot of the day, but its a learning experience and those are never bad. When me and Carolina were off on our own was the most real. I think we were in a stop in queens at one point, it was the first place that I felt in danger. Just some scary looking people around, so I avoided eye contact and tried not to act like I was not the only one with a pastel coat. Everyone else was in black. I learned that before the hour of 8 PM, if you are on a subway. Its best to not look at anyone and act really upset about everything. After 8, its ok to act a little happier. But still eye contact is bad. Hah
But that's what I think I learned after one real day of it. Tomorrow may be different.

We all had reservations at Sardi's at 730. We ended up there at 9 PM.
Carolina and I met up with Charlie at the restaurant and all ordered the swordfish. Which pretty much tasted like chicken. Soon enough Teresa and Lauren show up and we all get beautiful desserts. The characters on the wall are all either unknown to us, or they are too cartooned for us to recognize!

There is so much more to tell! But I will continue tomorrow. The rest of the night was spent in times square. Amazing! And toys r us was open 24 hours, and it was amazing of course. Pictures can explain it best. For now I must get some sleep. Its almost 5 am. But I don't feel tired. Tomorrow we tour NBC!

Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment